That sticky film that gums up to your feet after mopping the laminate floor can be so annoying. But why is the laminate floor sticky after being mopped and how do you fix sticky laminate?
The answers to these questions and more will be revealed in this post. Let’s dive in.
Why is Your Laminate Floor Sticky After Mopping?
Here are possible reasons your laminate floor is sticky after mopping:
1. Soap Residue
One reason for having a sticky film on your laminate floor after mopping is soap residue and this is very common when you use detergents to clean the floor.
After cleaning your laminate floor with soap, you need to use a clean and damp mop to wipe the laminate floor to get rid of soap residue. If you don’t do this, the soap will gunk up on the laminate floor making it sticky. This will get worse when dirt gets on the floor and mixes with the soap.
2. Using A Dirty Mop
Your laminate floor will also get sticky after mopping if you used a dirty mop. When you clean a laminate floor with a dirty mop, the mop will spread dirt across the floor rather than cleaning the floor.
It’s always advised to wash and clean your mop at least a day before you wipe the laminate floor. This is to get rid of filth and leftover debris on the mop.
Mopping your laminate floor without sweeping or vacuuming first will also cause a build-up of filth that will turn your floor sticky.
3. Using The Wrong Mopping Technique
Using the wrong mopping technique will also make your laminate floor sticky. For instance, if you start mopping from the middle of the floor, you will not get good coverage of the entire floor and will end up pushing dirt to the corners.
You are to mop the edges and corners of the room first and then work your way in sections to the middle of the floor.
Also, if you use the same mop attachment or pad to mop the entire floor without rinsing it a few times, the laminate floor will get sticky because the mop will get very dirty and spread dirt.
4. Leaving The Floor Wet
Leaving your laminate floor wet will also get it sticky after mopping. After mopping the laminate floor, you have to clean excess moisture off of the floor with a dry cloth.
Leaving the floor wet will make dust stick to the floor easily and when you walk on the floor, the mixture of moisture and dirt on the laminate floor will create a sticky film beneath your feet.
5. Using Harsh Floor Cleaners
Cleaning your laminate floor with harsh cleaning solutions especially those that contain chemicals can also cause your laminate floor to get sticky.
The chemical ingredients in the cleaner if not properly neutralized can bleach the laminate floor and cause a chemical build-up on the floor that will turn sticky.
So how do you get rid of the sticky laminate floor after mopping? Let’s find out.
How To Get Rid of Sticky Floors After Mopping? (2 Methods That Work)
Here are the two most effective methods to get rid of sticky laminate flooring after mopping the floor:
- Mop The Floor Again
- Use A Solvent
This guide will show you how to use both methods, the tools you’ll need, and when to use each method. But before we go on, you should know that it’s important to find out the cause of the sticky laminate floor before trying to fix it. When you know why the floor is sticky, it becomes easier to fix it.
1. Mop The Floor Again
The best way to fix a sticky laminate floor after mopping is to mop the floor again. Really? Yes. Only this time, you’ll need to mop properly and better than you did the first time. To mop the floor correctly, you’ll need the following tools and supplies:
- A microfiber mop
- Clean rags
- Mild detergent
- Vinyl floor cleaning solution
- A vacuum
Follow the steps below to get rid of the sticky laminate floor by mopping again.
- Sweep and vacuum the laminate floor to remove dust and debris
- Mix some mild detergent in a bucket of warm water – use very little detergent so there is no soap residue on the laminate floor
- Sprinkle the soap mixture on the laminate floor and leave for about 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, you should use a microfiber mop to wipe the laminate floor
- You should start mopping the floor from the corners and ensure to rinse the mop as you go on to wash off dirt
- After mopping, you should wipe the laminate floor with a rag and clean water
- Wipe the entire floor again with a dry rag to remove moisture
- Leave the laminate floor to dry for about an hour before walking over it.
Tip: You should know that this method works for small and large laminate floors.
Next, let’s check out the second method.
2. Using A Solvent
You can also get rid of a sticky laminate floor by using a solvent. The solvent will dissolve the sticky film on the laminate floor making it easy to wipe the floor and remove the sticky mess. You may need a soft sponge alongside the solvent to scrub off stubborn spots on the laminate floor.
Solvents that you can use for this include rubbing alcohol, turpentine, methylated spirits, mineral spirits, and acetone. You should know that the solvent needs to be diluted with little water so it’s not harsh on the laminate floor.
For this method, you’ll need the following tools and supplies:
- A solvent
- A soft sponge
- Clean rags
- A clean bucket
- Floor vacuum
Here is a guide for this method:
- Sweep and vacuum the laminate floor
- Pour the solvent into a bucket and mix with little water
- Sprinkle the mixture on the floor and leave for a few minutes. For greasy spots, you can use the solvent directly without diluting it
- After a few minutes, use a soft sponge or tack cloth to scrub the laminate floor
- After removing the sticky mess, use a clean and dry mop to wipe the entire floor
- Leave the laminate floor to dry
Tip: You should know that this method works best for small laminate floors.
How To Remove Sticky Residue From Laminate Floors?
Sometimes, the sticky feeling that you get from your laminate floor is not caused by mopping. Instead, the floor is sticky because there is a sticky residue on the laminate floor.
The sticky residue might be loose floor glue, food or drink spill, soap, oils, grease, and the like. In such cases, you can remove the sticky residue by using a vinegar mix.
Wipe With Vinegar Solution
To remove sticky residue with vinegar mix, you’ll need the following tools and supplies:
- White vinegar
- A bucket of water
- A vacuum and broom
- Laminate floor wipe and seal
- A spray bottle (optional)
Here is a guide to removing sticky reside from a laminate floor with vinegar mix:
- Sweep and vacuum the laminate floor
- Mix a gallon of water with a cup of white vinegar
- You can put the vinegar mix in a spray bottle to make application easier
- Spray or sprinkle the vinegar mix on the sticky spots on the laminate floor and leave for about 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, use a soft sponge to scrub the affected spots
- Wipe off the vinegar mix and the sticky mess with a cloth
- Wipe the laminate floor with laminate flooring clean and seal.
How To Prevent Sticky Laminate Floor After Mopping?
Here are expert ways to prevent your laminate floor from getting sticky after mopping:
- Always use the right floor cleaner – ensure the cleaner is recommended for laminate floors
- Ensure to sweep and vacuum the laminate floor before mopping
- Don’t use a wet mop. Instead, use a damp mop
- Stay away from harsh or acid-based cleaners
- Wash your mopping pads and attachments before working on the laminate floor
- Don’t walk on the laminate floor immediately after mopping
- Wipe soap residue from the laminate floor after mopping
- Clean your laminate floor regularly to prevent a build-up of grime
- Use microfiber rags as the short fibers hold dirt better
- Degrease the laminate floor with vinegar mix to remove oily stains and grease.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sticky Laminate
Let’s check out some common questions about sticky laminate floors.
Why is Your Floor Sticky After Using My Swiffer?
Your laminate floor can get sticky after cleaning it with a Swiffer floor cleaner. The main reason for this is that you are using too much Swiffer cleaning solution.
Swiffer cleaners are often designed with a nozzle that allows you to spray a cleaning solution on the laminate floor to dissolve stains. If you spray too much of this cleaning solution, it will gunk up on the floor and turn sticky. Since the Swiffer cleaning solution also dries fast, your laminate floor can also turn sticky if you spray an area of the floor before reaching there.
Does Vinegar Make Laminate Floor Sticky?
Vinegar doesn’t make your laminate floor sticky because it doesn’t leave behind any sticky residue.
Vinegar is a mild acid that will remove sticky film from your laminate floor. So, it’s safe to use vinegar on your laminate floor. However, you need to dilute the vinegar by mixing it with clean water. This is to prevent the vinegar from fading the laminate floor.
Does Humidity Make Laminate Floor Sticky?
It’s rare for humidity to make your laminate floor sticky. For this to happen, the level of humidity needs to rise well above 60% and this only happens during the rainy season.
Humidity refers to the moisture level in the atmosphere. During the rainy season, the level of moisture in the atmosphere (or humidity) is usually high and can get over 95%.
In this case, water from the atmosphere can seep underneath your laminate floor and wash out the glue causing the floor to get sticky. However, you should know that this will not happen with a well-installed laminate floor.
So in summary, humidity can only turn your laminate floor sticky during the rainy season and this will only happen with poorly-installed laminate floors.
Does Fabuloso Make Laminate Floor Sticky?
Fabuloso floor cleaner can turn a laminate floor sticky but this is only if you use too much Fabuloso cleaning detergent on the laminate floor.
Fabuloso is a tough cleaning solution and as such, it’s difficult to remove the cleaner especially if you use too much of it. Too much Fabuloso cleaner will leave a sticky residue on your laminate floor. Asides from the sticky mess, the Fabuloso can also cause warping on the laminate planks.
Does Zoflora Make Laminate Floor Sticky?
Zoflora can cause a laminate floor to turn sticky due to a build-up of chemicals on the laminate floor. Zoflora also contains several chemicals including benzalkonium chloride that can damage the design of your laminate floor.
You shouldn’t use Zoflora on your laminate floor because the cleaner can be too strong for the laminate planks to handle.
Can You Use Bleach To Clean Sticky Laminate Floor?
Generally, you shouldn’t use bleach on laminate floors because bleach contains acid that can bleach the laminate floor. However, experienced pros use bleach to remove sticky film from laminate floors.
To do this, they dilute the bleach so it’s less corrosive. Also, the diluted bleach isn’t left for more than a few seconds on the laminate floor. The diluted bleach is put on a rag and the rag is used to wipe and remove the sticky film.
In summary, your laminate floor will turn sticky after mopping if you don’t follow proper cleaning steps or if you use the wrong cleaners. You should always sweep and vacuum your vinyl floor before mopping and after mopping, allow the floor to get dry before walking over it.
Finally, you should only use floor cleaners designed for laminate flooring on your floor. These cleaners are safe to use on laminate floors and they don’t turn sticky after.