Vinyl floors have a bright appearance when installed. But, after a while, the vinyl floor becomes dull and starts to develop stains. So, how to make vinyl floors shine?
You can make vinyl floors shine by using a commercial vinyl floor cleaner. The floor cleaner will remove the oily grime and dark stains and make the vinyl floor shine again. You can use rubbing alcohol or diluted vinegar as an alternative to the commercial vinyl floor cleaner.
The best way to retain vinyl flooring shine is to regularly sweep, vacuum, and mop the vinyl floor. You shouldn’t wax vinyl floors as the floor wax will be difficult to maintain, and you must buff the wax regularly, which can be expensive.
Why Does Your Vinyl Floor Look Dull?
Here are common reasons for a dull-looking vinyl floor:
Dust and Grime
Vinyl floors will look dull if they are filled with filth (dust and grime). Dust and grime get on your vinyl floors in different ways. For instance, when you come home, you bring a lot of dust and dirt underneath your shoes. Also, dust can be carried by wind and settle on your vinyl floors if you open the home windows.
To prevent this from happening, you must sweep the vinyl floors regularly.
Food and Drink Spills
If you spill food and drinks on your vinyl floor, the floor will look dull. This is common with kitchen and dining room vinyl floors.
For instance, if you accidentally spill a glass of wine on the vinyl floor, the colorants in the drink can tint the vinyl flooring if not wiped off immediately. This can leave a permanent discolored spot on the floor, creating dull-looking vinyl flooring.
Food spills can also cause staining on the vinyl floor. There have been cases where hot meals and snacks like fresh pizza boxes cause dull vinyl floors. In this case, the heat and steam from the pizza box can cause a dark-stained water spot on the vinyl floor.
The weather elements, such as UV rays, can fade the color of the vinyl floors, and the floors will look dull. This happens to vinyl floors that are exposed to sunlight or close to your home windows.
This is why you shouldn’t use vinyl floors outdoors.
Scratch marks, drag marks, door marks, shoe marks, pencil marks, and other types of marks can make your vinyl floor look dull. When there are multiple marks on your floor, the marks will accommodate filth, causing the floor to look black and dirty.
Using the Wrong Type of Cleaner
The vinyl flooring will look dull if you use the wrong type of cleaner. Household detergents that contain bleach should be used on the vinyl floors.
How To Shine Vinyl Floors?
Here are two ways to shine a vinyl floor:
- Use a commercial floor cleaner.
- Polish the vinyl floor.
This guide will reveal how to use both methods, how they work, and when to use them.
Method #1: Clean and Wipe The Vinyl Floor
The commercial floor cleaner must be designed for vinyl flooring. If it isn’t, you shouldn’t use it. To know if the cleaner is made for vinyl floors, check the container of the cleaner.
You can also use a homemade floor cleaner for vinyl. To make a homemade cleaner, mix vinegar (or baking soda) with warm water, or use rubbing alcohol to wipe the vinyl floors. The homemade cleaner will make vinyl floors shine naturally.
However, a floor cleaner (commercial or homemade) will only make the vinyl floors shine if the floors are affected by filth, dust, or stains. The vinyl floor cleaner will dissolve and remove the stains and make the vinyl floor shine again. But, if the vinyl floor is dull because of scratches or is discolored, the vinyl floor cleaner won’t make it shine.
The tools you need for this method are:
- A commercial or homemade vinyl floor cleaner
- A mop
- Clean rags
- A vacuum
- A floor brush or duster
Here’s how to use a vinyl floor cleaner to shine floors:
- Sweep and vacuum the vinyl floor.
- Pour vinyl floor cleaner into a bucket.
- If you want to use a homemade cleaner, mix vinegar (or baking soda) with warm water into the bucket.
- Pour the vinyl cleaner into the floor, and wipe the vinyl flooring 3 times.
- After cleaning the vinyl floor, mop the floor to remove leftover filth and vinyl cleaner.
- Leave the vinyl floor to dry
- Optionally, you can use vinegar to shine the floor when it’s dry.
Method #2: Polish The Vinyl Floor
If the vinyl floor color has shaded or tuned white, you can polish the floors to make them shine again. The vinyl polish will revive the original and lustrous tone of the vinyl planks and make it shine again. However, before you polish the floor, you must clean the vinyl floors with a vinyl cleaner to remove the dirt.
For this method, you’ll need:
- A commercial vinyl floor polish
- Clean rags
- A mop
- A bucket
- A vacuum
- Vinyl floor cleaner
Here is a guide for this method:
- Sweep or vacuum the vinyl flooring.
- Pour vinyl floor cleaner into a clean bucket
- Use the floor cleaner to wipe the vinyl floor – this helps to remove grime on the floor.
- When the floor is dry, apply the vinyl floor polish based on the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Leave the polish to dry, and the vinyl floor will become shiny after a few minutes.
Tip: Don’t use floor wax instead of vinyl floor polish, and always allow the vinyl floor polish to dry before walking over it.
Polishing And Waxing Vinyl Floors
Polishing won’t damage your vinyl floors if you use the right type of floor polish. To polish vinyl floors, only use vinyl floor polish. The vinyl floor polish is formulated with mild ingredients that won’t damage your vinyl floors.
The vinyl polish comes in liquid form, so it’s easier to use and dries faster on vinyl floors. However, you shouldn’t use paste-form floor polish because they make the floors sticky.
Also, you shouldn’t wax vinyl floors. Wax and other gel-based materials will make vinyl floors look dull. That’s because vinyl flooring is waterproof, so the wax won’t be able to penetrate the planks. Instead, the wax will form a gooey substance on the vinyl floor, making it look dull and unattractive. Wax should be used only for hardwood and non-waterproof floors.
Keeping Vinyl Floors Shiny
The shine on vinyl floors lasts a few months on busy vinyl floors and a few years for vinyl floors that aren’t used as much.
The vinyl floor shine depends on the usage of the floor. For instance, if the vinyl floor is exposed to heavy furniture, foot traffic, or stains and dust, the shine of the vinyl floor will wash off after a few months. However, if the vinyl floor isn’t exposed to foot traffic and dust, it will keep its shine for a few years (3).
Also, if you use the wrong type of floor cleaner, the vinyl shine won’t last long because the cleaner will remove the shine. So, to make the vinyl floor shine longer, you must wipe, clean, and vacuum the floor at least once 1 week.
Here are tips to keep your vinyl floor shiny:
- Clean food and drink spill immediately after they occur.
- Place dust mats at the entrance to your home to collect dust and grime from your shoe soles.
- Wipe and clean the vinyl floor regularly.
- Don’t use harsh cleaners or aggressive cleaning equipment on your vinyl flooring.
- Use rugs or carpets to absorb stains and filth.
- Don’t drag items across your vinyl floor to prevent scratches.
- Repair scratches on your vinyl floor so they don’t accumulate dust.
- Don’t use vinyl flooring on busy floors as this will make the floor dull faster.
- Do not use wax or any paste-like polish on vinyl flooring.
- Only use polish, cleaners, and pads designed for vinyl flooring.
You can make vinyl floors shine by using a commercial (or homemade) floor cleaner or polishing the floor. To make the vinyl floor shine longer, you must use the right type of floor cleaner and clean and vacuum the floor at least once a week.